Monday, April 28, 2008

Some say he's in the wrong sport...

Sidney Crosby is a great player. One of the biggest complaints about him is that he dives to draw penalties. Diving is not something that great players do...honestly, I don't understand why anybody would be that cowardly, but maybe that's just me. I have to admit, he does go down rather easily sometimes. The Rangers have brought this complaint back to the surface after what they call a questionable penalty that was sparked by a Crosby "dive" (I did not see the play) in Game 1 lead to the game winning goal, and another incident in yesterday's game (he did appear to go down pretty easily here). His first year in the league, I think Sid dove a lot. Now, he still draws a lot of penalties, but I think because of his speed and talent level, he forces other players, especially big, slow defenseman, to clutch and grab and take penalties. This is an example of first impressions lasting a lifetime, and I don't think it's fair. Yes, there are times where he draws a penalty becuase of going down that probably wouldn't be called if a lesser known player had the same thing happen to them. That's not his fault, though, is it? There are players in the league who do dive, and the NHL needs to implement an automatic fine and suspension for a diving penalty to eliminate this problem. I don't think Sid is a problem diver anymore, though.

2 comments:

samm said...

When your blog is too sports-sophisticated for me, there's alwasy the great music you post.

bloggdogg said...

Soccer maybe, its kind of strategically used but still very pansy to do, even worse to watch it take place. At least in hockey you can't see the dramatic faces of the divees in attempt to force the whistle